Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas 2009!

Merry Christmas from me and my little family!
(Sorry Terra is not in the picture...we're visiting my husband's family in Cleveland for Christmas and one of our nieces is terribly allergic, so we had to leave her at the Farm for my friend to kitty-sit.)
So many Christmas songs are full of fluff...not that I don't enjoy a fun song sometimes ("I want a Hippopotomus for Christmaaaaas!")...but my absolute favorite Christmas songs are the ones that actually remind us about Christ. I am loathe to use such cliche phrases such as "The Reason for the Season" or "the real meaning of Christmas"...but...well, it's true! So, as I did last year, I leave you with my favorite Christmas song...

"God rest ye merry, gentlemen, Let nothing you dismay,
Remember Christ our Saviour was born on Christmas day,
To save us all from Satan's power when we were gone astray:
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,
O tidings of comfort and joy.

From God our heavenly Father a blessèd angel came,
And unto certain shepherds brought tidings of the same,
How that in Bethlehem was born The Son of God by name:
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,
O tidings of comfort and joy.

Now to the Lord sing praises, all ye within this place,
And with true love and brotherhood each other now embrace;
This holy tide of Christmas all others doth deface:
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,
O tidings of comfort and joy."

I am always amazed at how people can sing Christmas songs like this and not think about God and Jesus Christ...when there are words in them like "Christ our Savior" and "Christ the Lord". When you hear traditional Christmas songs this year, really listen and think about what the words are really saying. And I pray that God will have it move your heart.

No comments: