Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What's-On-My-Worktable Wednesday: DIY Stamps

For tomorrow's homeschooler art class, I'm teaching the kids about stamps and letterboxing. I've made stamps with kids craft foam sheets before, but not the sticky-backed kind. I've always used hot glue. But I can't exactly let 6 and 7 year olds loose with hot glue guns... I'm pretty sure that's a recipe for disaster. And I find regular white glue is useless for anything but paper when dealing with impatient children. So I decided to get the sticky-back foam sheets to make life easier. As for the base of the stamps, I'm using wooden toy building blocks. I have a strange love affair with building blocks, and I can never resist buying a gallon ziplock bag of them for 50 cents from the toy section of my local thrift store, so I have plenty of blocks to spare! I also recycle the plastic spools when my thread runs out. I've used those before to make button stamps.



(I obviously will not be letting the children use X-acto knives tomorrow either!  I will be letting them use the stamps I've made though.)



I can't take all the credit for this project idea.  I got the idea for the buildings from this library book "Show Me A Story".  It's a cute book.  I recommend it.

No comments: