Saturday, December 29, 2007

Crafty Christmas 2007

2008 is almost here! Then I'll actually have to be diligent in keeping up with this blog every week! Yes...every week...I'm not sure if I mentioned that I decided a while back that this blog will have to be weekly instead of daily.
But anyway...on to the crafty stuff...

My husband and I went to Cleaveland to spend Christmas with his family. We were there Sunday to Wednesday and I brought my Basket-O'-Crafts to keep myself occupied. I'm in a knitting phase right now, using the Knifty Knitter looms. I know how to knit with traditional knitting needles (I recently had my grandma teach me), but I prefer the knitting looms...plus I forgot how to cast on. I worked on a baby blanket I'm going to be giving to a friend's newborn baby boy, as well as disovered a simple, easy way to make fingerless "hobo" gloves.



The yarn used on the purple ones is the "Lion Brand Homespun" yarn (my favorite kind of "specialty" yarn). The other two were "Red Heart Super Saver" yarn (my favorite kind of "normal" yarn, besides the "Caron One Pound" yarn)


My sister-in-law gave me the Red Heart yarn. She crochets (quite beautifully) and had extra skeins lying around at her house so she gave me a big gift bag of it to me. She also gave us a blanket she'd been making. She yelled at my husband that "That's NOT for you! I made that for Kira!" but I'll share it with him...he's my loving hubby and what's mine is his...even though we both know I'll be using it more.


I got my nieces hooked on the Knifty Knitter looms. They saw me using one of mine and of course wanted to try it for themselves. I wish I'd have gotten them each one of those for Christmas like I was originally thinking, but I couldn't remember if their mother knits or crochets and I didn't want to step on her toes if she wanted to teach the girls to knit herself. But, like I said before, it turns out that she crochets, and she is actually intrigued by the looms herself. I'm the cool, inspiring, uber-crafty aunt.

The girls seemed to like the clothespin doll kits, but it was hard to gauge their reaction through all the rest of the gifts and flying wrapping paper and squealing. But I'm pretty sure they liked them. The older, 12-year-old one in particular is into sewing and fashion design. She was thrilled when her grandmother (my mother in law) gave her a plastic tote full of fabric and sewing materials.

I did make one sock monster, but I gave him away the day after I made him to my brother-in-law's girlfriend's son.

I'd given his sister a sock monster the last time I was out there this past summer. She calls it her "Socky" and I'm told that she absolutely loves it and sleeps with it every night. Awwwwww!

No comments: