Sunday, January 29, 2012

Finally...SNOW!

We've had a weird, warm winter around here.  Hardly any snow this season, which is very unusual in western New York.  Whenever we've had snow this season, it only lasts for a day or two, then the temperature goes up again, and it rains, and all the snow melts away.  I suppose I shouldn't complain, since snow is a bear to drive in, and my husband commutes to work 2-3 times a week.  But everything is so much prettier with snow on the ground.  I've been sick of seeing brown grass and leafless trees.  It's felt like a perpetual November.
But...we had a crazy amount of snowfall today.  And I think (hope?) this snow may last awhile.  Are you staying this time, Winter?  You're only a couple months late! ;)
*EDIT*: And now I'm hearing that it's going back up into the 40's and is going to rain this week.  Blah.


Today was my mom's birthday, so we drove in to Rochester to have lunch with my parents and their friends.  We had a lot of snow in Lyndonville, and visibility on the parkway was so bad that we weren't sure if we would have to spend the night at my parents' house.  But when we got to Rochester, there was NO snow at all!...not in the sky, not on the ground!  Amusing, since we drove through a blizzard to get there!
On the way home, though, the drive was less nerve-wracking.  It was snowing, but it was a pleasant snow this time...gently falling...not blowing like it had been on the drive out. 


There's a spot on the Lake Ontario Parkway where there is a little pulloff and a tree that I used to photograph almost every Sunday when we used to drive out there for church, before we moved to be closer to our church.  I don't get to photograph it that often anymore, since it's usually dark when we are coming home from Rochester.
We stopped there on our way home today to let Luna run around a little, for us to look at the lake, and for me to get a winter picture of the tree.




We also took a walk in our backyard when we got home.  That fence and lights are from the sewage treatment station that's behind our house (My mom commented on Facebook that it looks like a "military installation" in our backyard!). Those small trees mark the edge of our property line (the large pine and apple tree are just a few feet beyond our property).
The gently falling snow was so lovely and peaceful, and Luna has such fun bounding through the snow!

No comments: