Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What's-On-My-Work-Table Wednesday: Otter Nubbin & Rabbit

I'm trying to start a new weekly blog post..."What's On My Worktable Wednesday"...inspired by some posts by my friend Vickie of In My Head Studios.
I recently received a request from a customer for a custom "Otter Nubbin" for her soon-to-be-born granddaughter, who has been nicknamed "otter" due to her initials being "O.D.R."


I just finished it up today and I'm very satisfied with how it turned out! (the customer is too!) I was worried that  it would end up looking like a teddy bear instead of an otter, but the long tail, longer body, and wide smile made it look very otter-like.  If  you look at photos of otters, they have a  short, wide face...hence the wide smile. (I also tried to draw inspiration from Jim Henson's "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas"... because, y'know, I'm a Muppet geek!)
The most work intensive part of it for me was embroidering the initials onto the heart...


Next on the worktable, a rabbit done in my "Woodland Creatures" series style...


I just need to sew up the head and attach the arms and I'll be done!

No comments: