Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What's-On-My-Work-Table Wednesday: One-Eyed Nubbins, Embroidery Hoops, and My Craft Room Companions

Back in June, I made a "Mike Wazowski" inspired Nubbin as my own little homage to "Monsters University" coming to theaters.  I ended up giving it to a friend's daughter who loves Mike Wazowski.  But that one Nubbin inspired me to make a new line of One-Eyed ,Horned Nubbins in multiple colors!


I only have them in 3 colors right now...Green (with blue eye), Blue (with green eye), and Purple (with orange eye).  They'll be making their craft show debut this Saturday at the August "Brainery Bazaar" at the Rochester Brainery.  This show will kind of be a "beta test" to see how well they sell.  I'll only have 2 of each color.  I have a feeling the green one will sell well because of the resemblance to Mike Wazowski.  Maybe I should have a few more of the green ones on hand.


When I posted the picture of my new Nubbin design on Facebook, a friend requested that I make a purple one with one horn and wings... a One-Eyed, One-Horned, Flying Purple People Eater!  That idea excited me and I just had to make one right away!  I'm sure I'll get more requests for this one too.  The only thing is, those wings are a bit annoying to make... especially to make 2 of them that are supposed to be the same.  I should try to see if I can make myself a template for them.


As you can see, I'm falling in love with utilizing embroidery hoops...largely due to Pinterest.  I have a friend from RNEST who does embroidery hoop art, and I have this stash of hoops I've gotten from the thrift store that I've been meaning to give to her... but I'm not sure that's going to happen now, since I have been using them myself lately!  Yesterday, I made this "wall pocket" for my craft room, inspired by this tutorial I found on Pinterest.  It was no-sew because the fabric I used for the pocket was already hemmed!  Although another no-sew option is to just fold the fabric over.  I do want to add an additional small pocket on the front of this though, to hold smaller items like small scissors or a seam-ripper.  And, as you can see in the Purple People Eater photo, I can use them for display/photo purposes too! (I just used some large pins to hold the monster in place to look like he's flying!)


And finally, for your daily dose of cuteness...here's Luna in her favorite napping spot in my craft room!  


Well, it's not exclusively Luna's spot...it's one of Terra's preferred spots too!  But they are good sisters and share it based on a first-come-first-served basis (with no fighting!)

No comments: