Friday, April 3, 2015

Good Friday...

A blessed Good Friday to you.
One of the church kids made this and gave it to me last Sunday (Palm Sunday).  It's a cross made from a palm leaf.


(Warning...I'm going to get all "Christian-y" here. If you read my blog just for the fun monsters, that's fine. If "religion" freaks you out, you can skip this if you want. But this is a big part of who I am and I'm not going to hide it.)

I'm trying to be mindful of what today means.  "Good Friday".  When I was little, growing up in a Christian household, I always wondered why it was called "Good" Friday. It was the day Jesus died, so wasn't that bad? But as I grew up I understood more of why it was good. 

"For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 
For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—
though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 
but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." 
(Romans 5:6-8 ESV)

It was good because Christ died for us as an ultimate sacrifice for our sin. Back in the Old Testament, they sacrificed animals who were flawless, "without spot or blemish". But they had to do it all the time. Jesus was our once-and-for-all sacrifice...flawless, spotless... sinless.
But the best part is that Jesus didn't stay dead.  He rose from the dead on the third day.

I feel like there is so much to be said and explain. I grew up learning all the "Christian-ese" language and learning the Bible verses, so it's hard for me to step back and see if my words could make sense to someone who isn't a Christian or has never read the Bible.  My best answer is to go ahead and read it. (I'd start with the New Testament. The book of John is usually what is recommended to start with.)
 Those who seek Him will find Him. I'm not one of those people who will try to ram my beliefs down your throat or argue with you if you're not interested. 

God is sinless and just and Holy, but God is also Love. He loves the sinner and wants to see them turn away from their sin. I may be a Christian, but I am still a sinner.  The difference is that I am constantly repenting of my sins and realize that I can't do it on my own. I realize that I need Jesus.
And the reality is...we all need Him.



No comments: