Monday, April 19, 2010

Backyard Garden Boxes

This past weekend, my lovely hubby made these garden boxes for the back yard. Not only does it give me a place for a vegetable garden, it helps to further define our property line in the back.

CJ made the 4x4 boxes, we set them where we wanted them, I put down some anti-weed garden cloth/plastic inside the boxes, and we filled them up with garden soil. Each box took 4 large bags of garden soil to fill.


We thought three boxes is enough to start a decent vegetable/herb garden without getting in over our heads. On my list of things I want to plant are...
  • tomatoes ( at least 2 different varieties, cherry tomatoes and then a larger variety)
  • cucumbers
  • lettuce (maybe a couple different varieties)
  • sugar snap peas
  • garlic
  • rosemary
  • basil
  • dill
  • mint
  • chamomile

There's probably a few more things, but that's what I have in my head so far. Next Saturday we're probably going to go shopping at a nursery for plants. My friend Amy lent me a book called "The Square Foot Garden" that's being very encouraging and helpful.

This is the bud on the lilac bush I planted a few weeks ago! It's gotten bigger!


No comments: