Saturday, December 22, 2012

Catnip Mouse for Terra

This is one of the few handmade gifts I can share pictures of before Christmas (I'm DYING to share pictures of some of the gifts I've  made for family members, but don't want to risk ruining the surprise!) But my kitty doesn't use the internet! Plus, I already let her play with it today.  Plus...you know...Christmas doesn't mean much to cats except there ends up being some cool wrapping paper to play in!

A little catnip mouse with a clothesline tail for Terra.  The clothesline is nice, because it's got the dangle-factor of string/yarn that cats seem to be fascinated with, but it's too thick for her to actually break a piece off and be in danger of swallowing  it.

 I made it from the "Menswear Mice" pattern/tutorial in Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts.

 "Hey guys!  Can I play?"

I stuffed it with fabric scraps and catnip.  I embroidered the nose on, but for the eyes, I happened to have a bunch of tiny safety eyes that came with a little drawer organizer I got at a flea market-type store a few years ago. So I used a couple of those instead of embroidering them.  I don't recommend using these eyes on toys for dogs, but cats don't destroy their toys like dogs too. (at least, not my cat)

I just couldn't wait to give it to her....


 She seems to like it!

No comments: