Friday, January 29, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my Mom's birthday. Happy Birthday Mommy!

Yet another woman who is massively responsible for my strong crafty streak...even though our respective crafty passions are different. We can spend a couple hours in Joann Fabrics together, bonding over our mutual love of crafts. Mom's true crafty passion is cardmaking. I keep telling her she needs to sell the handmade cards she makes, but she keeps insisting she likes to make them "just for fun". (Well, I started making monsters "just for fun" too!) I think I may get her to sell some cards at the Presence on the Patio craft show we're having in the spring.

Mom says she "can't sew", but don't let her fool you. She can do it when she has a project in mind (like the Queen Amidala haloween costume she made me back in 1999...that won every costume contest I entered that year!). She was also very involved in helping with costumes and props for her church's Christmas musical this year. The key is to give her a good idea and a challenge. If you give her a crafty challenge, she can usually pull it off...and I think the challenge and problem solving are truly what she has fun with.


(Mom's senior picture: 1976)


No comments: