Monday, October 17, 2011

Make It Monday: Toilet Paper Tube Owls & Cats

I've fallen behind in posting pictures of the kids' art classes, so I thought I'd make this a Make-It-Monday post...
I originally found this project for making owls out of toilet paper tubes via Pinterest (oh, how I love Pinterest!). The original project is for owls, but I thought the general shape would work for making cats as well, so I had this kids make one of each if they wanted to.

(this first owl & cat were my examples that I made)
  • Bend the opposite sides at the top of the tube to shape 2 pointy ears (the original instructions call for you to tape the top, but if you pinch the cardboard "ears", you don't need to...plus masking tape doesn't take the paint well)
  • Paint the tube (I use this part to teach the kids about color-mixing with the paint)
  • While you wait for the paint to dry, cut out eyes and beak/nose, and draw pupils onto the eyes. (I cut the eyes out with my Cricut before class, but the kids cut out the beaks/noses themselves)
  • When the paint is dry, glue on the eyes & beak/nose

This is how the table looked when the kids were done.






1 comment:

Susan Link said...

These toilet paper tube owls are great ! can't wait to try that!