Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer Reading..."Letters To Jenny"

I recently finished a book called “Letters to Jenny” by Piers Anthony.
"Letters To Jenny" is a compilation of letters from the author to a 12 year old girl who was hit by a drunk driver and was in a coma. The girl (Jenny) was a big fan of Mr. Anthony’s “Xanthe” novels, and her mother wrote to him asking him to write a letter to Jenny. The one letter turned into at least one a week for over a year.

Jenny comes out of her coma relatively early in the book, but has very limited movement. She can't speak or write, but can move her eyes and her right index finger. The book ends after a year of letters (February 1989 - February 1990), and at the time the book was published (1993), Jenny was still mostly paralyzed, and I don't know if she ever fully recovered.
It was an interesting read. I don't usually pick up non-fiction books unless they have to do with art, crafts, or home decor...but I glimpsed the author's name in the non-fiction section of the library. I thought that maybe the book had been misplaced, but upon reading the description on the back of the book, I was intrigued.
Piers Anthony was a popular fantasy novelist in the 80’s/early 90's, but I only discovered his Xanthe novels a few years ago when my brother gave me a boxed set of the first three Xanthe novels..."A Spell For Chameleon", "The Source Of Magic", and "Castle Roogna". They sat on my shelf for awhile until I decided to read them, and ended up liking them. Until I read "Letters to Jenny", I didn't realize that Piers Anthony had written a lot more Xanthe novels than just those three!
My next book I was going to read was going to be "Eclipse", the third installment of the "Twilight" saga...but CJ flew through reading "New Moon" this weekend (he's a genius, and a fast reader...and had lots of time to read with the holiday weekend), so I am letting him hijack "Eclipse" and am going to see if I can find "Isle of View" (the Xanthe book Piers wrote while he was writing to Jenny, that has a character named after her in it).

No comments: