Thursday, February 4, 2010

Newborn Monster-Ear Hat

After seeing my last post, my friend Amy emailed me saying that she'd love to buy one for her new baby that is on the way. She also gave me a very helpful link to a project for making fleece hats that has some sizing information on the Martha Stewart website. (Oh....Martha is sucking me in!)
So, eager to try my hand at making a smaller sized hat, I made a newborn Monster-Ear hat...

I made the pattern myself based on the sizing chart on the Martha website and the hat pattern I'd used for the adult sized hat (traced from a pattern for a recycled sweater hat project in the book Last Minute Fabric Gifts)

My model is a baby doll that Aunt Grandma actually gave me years ago...a childhood toy that I keep for my friends' kids to enjoy when they come over. It is supposed to be the size of an actual newborn. It fits the doll, so I hope it fits an actual baby! (this is based on the smallest size on the chart...14 inch circumference and 8 inch crown)


Average Head Sizes:
Newborn (6 months and younger)
Circumference: 14 to 17 inches
Crown: 8 to 10 inches

Infant (6 to 12 months)
Circumference: 16 to 19 inches
Crown: 11 to 12 inches

No comments: