Saturday, December 25, 2010

"Remember Christ our savior was born on Christmas day..."

I alway marvel at how people can hear Christmas music for over a month...in stores, on the radio... and not really think about the reason for Christmas...the birth of Christ.

Granted, most of the songs are about Santa, Rudolph, hippopotamuses, and winter wonderlands...but you also hear a lot of the traditional, meaningful songs...like Silent Night, Away In a Manger, and O Holy Night. (I can't even listen to O Holy Night without getting teary).

For a few years now, I always post the lyrics to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" on Christmas day. It is my favorite Christmas song, not only because I like it musically, but because I love the lyrics. It specifically mentions Christ and that the reason he was born was to save us from our sin. It's all in the first verse...

"God rest ye merry gentlemen, let nothing you dismay!
Remember Christ our savior was born on Christmas day
To save us all from Satan's pow'r when we were gone astray
Oh tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy!
Oh tidings of comfort and joy!"

And even when people do remember to think about Christ's birth, they either forget or do not know that the reason he was even born was to die on the cross to save us from our sins. That's what the line "To save us all from Satan's pow'r when we were gone astray" means. That's why people always refer to the birth of Christ as a gift.
I read a friend's blog recently who was having trouble with accepting gifts from people. The thing is, that we all have a gift given to us by God, even though we don't deserve it. All we have to do is accept it.

I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas, got good gifts, and had opportunities to have fun with your families (I know I did!), but I encourage you to take a moment to remember "what Christmas is all about". God bless you all and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

insurance quotes. said...

The picture is fantastic,the words are great.