Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday...

I have a vague memory of when I was a child...hearing about "Good Friday" and finding out what it was about...and wondering why they called it "Good" Friday when that was the day Jesus died. As a child, I recognized death as a bad thing. And Jesus was so good...wouldn't the day he died be a bad day? It wasn't until I was older that I realized why Jesus' death was a good thing. A needful thing. He died for us. A picture of the spotless lamb sacrificed for Passover. But instead of sacrificing a lamb yearly, He sacrificed himself once for all of us. We just have to accept Him.

I know some people don't understand or accept this. And I pray that if you are one of those people, that you will understand someday.

(image credit: Ashley Clark)

These are the words of an old hymn that I love. The words bring me to tears because I feel so unworthy of such love and so many times fall prey so much to "all those vain things that charm me most." and yet, Christ loves me anyway and gave himself for me.


When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the death of Christ, my God;
all the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all!


There is a Celtic Christian band called Iona that does a version of this hymn with a different melody than the original. I am usually resistant to musicians messing around with the arrangement of classic hymns, but their version is beautiful. I also like the contemporary version "The Wonderful Cross" by Chris Tomlin, which has the same melody as the original, but adds on a chorus. It's just a wonderful hymn...no matter the arrangement.

No comments: