Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Contribution to the RNEST Garbage Plate

So, many of you know I am a part of a local Etsy Street Team called RNEST (Rochester NY Etsy Street Team). There is a group project that has been around for over a year...the RNEST Garbage Plate. If you are a Rochester local, you should have at least heard of a Nick Tahou's Garbage Plate.

"A Garbage Plate is a combination of one selection of cheeseburger, hamburger, red hots, white hots, Italian sausage, chicken tender, fish (haddock), fried ham, grilled cheese, or eggs; and two sides of either home fries, French fries, baked beans, or macaroni salad. On top of that are the options of mustard and onions, ketchup, and Nick's proprietary hot sauce, a greasy sauce with spices and ground beef. It's served with rolls or Italian toast on the side,fresh from the bakery next door."

I don't see the appeal myself, but I'm one of those borderline OCD-ish people who doesn't like my food to touch! But many people in Rochester LOVE to eat garbage plates and there are copycats at many restaurants in the city and surrounding suburbs (they use a different name of course, since the term "Garbage Plate" has been trademarked by Nick Tahou's). My husband actually prefers the one at Henrietta Hots over the "original" Garbage Plate at Nick Tahou's.

Anyway...RNEST has a group project: making our own, handmade Garbage Plate. We pass the Plate around each month (or every few months in some cases!) and each member contributes something different to the plate using their own crafty medium. So far, there's the actual plate itself (by The Quilted House), a veggie burger ( by Duncan Creative), onion-y meat sauce (by Buenahelena), mac salad (by Jackbear Stamps), and hash browns (by Peaches Products)...and now it has a hot dog (by me, KiraArts)!

I brought it to the monthly meeting on Monday and everyone absolutely loved it! I had second thoughts about putting the monster face on it, but that's what everyone loved the most because, with that Nubbin face, you can tell it's from KiraArts! (otherwise, it's just a fleece hot dog!)

I got suggestions that I should make more of these, and other foods, since play-food is pretty hot in the handmade market lately.


No comments: