Sunday, February 3, 2008

New Sewing Machine & Plans for "going Etsy"


So...I got a new sewing machine this past weekend! Yaaaay! It's a Singer "Touch & Sew" 7462 Electric Sewing Machine. I got it from the Viking Store that's inside JoAnne Fabrics.

Now I don't have to completely hand sew all my sock monsters! Which is a big plus, because right now, it takes me an average of an hour to hand sew a monster. And I want to be able to make them faster if I'm going to start an Etsy shop this summer.

Yes, that has become an ambition of mine...to have an Etsy store. Everyone I show my sock monsters to asks me if I'm going to sell them or tells me i should...and just about 3 out of 5 people ask me if I've heard of Etsy. And on every craft site I go to, I seem to see some mention of Etsy. So Etsy seems to just be calling my name.


I'm going to start it in the summer because then I won't have to work (I work for an elementary school) and I'll have all day to devote to it. I may be able to do some planning now (without going crazy) and get stuff ready and then have a "grand opening" in the summer. Right now I've been taking mental note of sites that have advice on having a successful Etsy shop. One I've found so far is here on the Greenbean Baby Art Blog. And another one is a "30 Days to A Better Shop" series (see Day 1)on the Christina Perdue Studios blog. Both of these are thanks to the Craft: blog for featuring them...I love that blog! I wonder what I'll have to do to get featured on the Craft: blog? It might help if I consistantly kept up with this blog. Oh wait!...they have a spot for you to Suggest A Site! Hmmm...I could wait for someone else to be kind and suggest me or I could just take the bull by the horns and suggest my blog myself. Does it seem narcissistic to do that? Hey...you gotta do something to promote yourself right!

No comments: