Thursday, October 30, 2008

Arts & Crafts Time Can Be A Babysitter's Best Friend!

I watched my friend's kids yesterday afternoon while she went grocery shopping. At my art class at the homeschool group this week, I was teaching the kids about Henri Mattisse and his cut paper art. So I had a lot of leftover scraps of construction paper left over...
Some of the kid crafts I've come up with recently have been the kind that end up with me doing the majority of the work when I do them with kids under 5 (I teach 8-12 year olds in my class). But cutting and gluing paper?...I think the little kids can handle that. Although I helped the 2-year-old with her gluing. But she got the hang of scissors really quick!


I did David make a paper chain (you can see it on the table at the right side of the picture ). But he started doing a few of the links himself after awhile.

At first it was just David and Maggie at the table. Lukie didn't want to do arts and crafts and played by himself and with his baby brother for awhile. But he finally got into it. I think he had more fun snipping tiny pieces of paper than gluing any on. We made a paper "pizza" using all those tiny snips of yellow paper for the cheese. I didn't get a picture of the final product because I was trying to be a good babysitter and not let the baby get into anything he shouldn't!

Like putting Lincoln Logs in his mouth!