Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Hey! I found out through ScrumDillyDo and The Crafty Crow that today is Theodor Geisel's (aka: Dr. Seuss's) birthday!...and that this is also Read Across America week! Yay books!
I always loved Dr. Seuss books. The main memory I have of my "Papa Unk" (my great uncle who died when I was 5) is of him reading Dr. Seuss books to me while I sat on his lap. When his wife ("Aunt Grandma") died when I was 11, I wanted the collection of Dr. Seuss books she left behind that held so many memories for me, but was slightly disappointed to find that it had been willed to one of her sons.

So, fast forward to this past summer, where I was garage sale-ing with a friend. And imagine my delight when I came across a pile of Dr. Seuss books that were in excellent, almost new condition, that they were selling for just a few cents per book! I was so happy that I think that both my friend and the lady selling the books thought I was a little crazy. What 26 year old woman gets so thrilled by Dr. Seuss books?...well, apparently I do!


I also used to watch a video tape of Green Eggs and Ham and The Sneeches when I was little too. Speaking of the Sneeches...it reminded me of an inspiration I had to make yet another Nubbin design...with "stars upon thars". I don't think I have the Sneeches book. I need to make a list of the Dr. Seuss books I have yet to add to my collection.

No comments: