Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More Sock Dogs

Here are some more socks I made from modifying a pattern I found in Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts. You can see my previous blog post about it here. (did I ever mention that I DID get the book for my birthday? Thanks Mom!)

This purple dog's square face makes it look a bit like a Scottie dog. (I'll have to make one like this from a black sock sometime)




Here's a Dachshund made from a knee sock.



And this sweet little hound dog is made from a pair of beige crew socks. I used a shank-style button for the nose and ended up needing to hot glue it into place to prevent it from flopping around. I ended up gluing the eyes down while I was at it.
This dog's destination is a community gift basket kind of thing for Esther, a little, 3-year-old Amish girl who broke her leg and will be in a full body cast for some time. To cheer up little Esther the Amish community in my town is putting together a "Sunshine Box". It will consist of inexpensive toys that are individually wrapped. The idea is for her to open one a day. I found out about it through some of my church friends who are friends with some of the Amish families in the area. I hope this little sock dog will help brighten Esther's days as she recovers.

3 comments:

Sarah Dickson said...

aw such cute doggies! and what a lovely thing to do for that little girl :)

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

I found you via the Needle -- your sock doggies are just adorable!

snoring solutions said...

The needle work is really wonderful.I
appreciate your work.The dogs are beautiful.