Thursday, January 29, 2009

Going Back to Painting?

I know I've been posting a lot about the stupid CPSIA lately (Mom thinks I'm obsessed). But with February 10th looming in the very near future, the whole thing has really been bumming me out. My business of selling plush monsters will have ended just as it was starting to really get going. I have the craft show at Spot tomorrow and Saturday (5pm - 10pm), as well as a Valentine sale at Moonflower next Thursday... and I have lost a lot of motivation for making more monsters. I'm afraid that if I make too many, I'll have a lot of inventory left over, even after my upcoming shows. I might just put it all up on Etsy after the shows and hope a bunch gets sold. Of course, it it doesn't, there's my $0.20 Etsy fee (per item) down the tubes for nothing.

Of course, in the midst of this, I just had a semi-positive thought...if I can't sell plush anymore, I can always try to focus on selling paintings. (The portraits shown below are the ones I did of my nieces for my sister-in-law's Christmas present).



This picture is of me working on a portrait of my parents...



But portraits take me a LOT longer to do, would have to be more expensive, and I don't think they would sell as often. More people are more likely to buy a quirky, lovable, handmade plush toy for their kid than an expensive canvas for their wall.

Of course, this bamboo painting didn't take me all that long...


Then there's the butterfly paintings, which don't really take that long either...


Do you think people would buy paintings like this from me?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

There is a market for anything and everything. I think people would buy them. Your pictures have always been incredible. I don't think you'll have a problem selling them!

Shannon Renee' said...

I think people would, especially if you do commission work also.

I know when we buy a house I plan to commission your to do a large name painting for the girls room (giving you a commission idea here). I will want to have a large painting done with their name and decorative things around it to match their room (like for Taylor work in some leopard print in the background and For Maria work in some flowers and butterflies (or something like that)). People buy that stuff all the time for friends when they have babies. I could scan some of the things that people bought be for Taylor and Maria... I know you could do something much nicer and I know these cost 30 to 40 dollars.

Then you could do those for weddings also.