Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My First T-Shirt Dress!

I got the book "Generation T: Beyond Fashion" from the library last week. It's a "sequel" to the original "Generation T" book. I love the idea of refashioning clothes into new ones, and actually own another book on the subject, "99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt Into Something Special", but have always been too intimidated by the idea of making clothes. (Of course, I also owned "Stupid Sock Creatures" for almost a year before I overcame my intimidation and made my first sock monster.)

I've had people call me a "seamstress" after they see my plushies, and I am always quick to correct them and say that I am NOT a seamstress. I don't make clothes. I enjoy the margin of error that plush-making affords that I think making clothing doesn't. If I mess up on a plushie (especially if it's a monster), it just adds to the charm. And I don't believe it's the same way with clothing. I don't know if it's because I tend to be a perfectionist, or because I'm a plus-sized woman and feel like I can't put on just any piece of clothing and make it look good.

Anyway...with that all said, I've been flipping through the book and gaining inspiration, and the day before yesterday, I finally took the plunge and decided to make myself something!

I love this style of empire-waisted dress. I have a few that I wear all the time in the summer. I bought 4 T-shirts at the thrift store on Monday specifically in order to make this dress. I was inspired by the Project # 20 "Fun In The Sun" sundress in the book. I made a few alterations and deviations from the original pattern (don't I always?). The black band was an addition to hide a mistake I had made. Plus I think it adds something to the overall look of the dress. I am considering adding some straps to the back, since the back part of the bodice tends to droop and I don't want to be showing flashes of my strapless bra. (I made sure it wasn't showing for the picture below!)

This is the first piece of clothing I've ever made for myself. It took a lot of time, but it was satisfying. And it actually looks good! (if I do say so myself!). It's not "perfect", but it's wearable! It's obviously a warm-weather piece of clothing, but I was so excited to wear it, that I wore a black, long-sleeved shirt underneath it yesterday...and it still looked good!

Thank you Generation T for helping me overcome my clothing-making phobia and insecurities! I CAN make my own clothes! I can't wait to cut up more old T-shirts now! I'll have to dig out the stash I've been saving. And maybe I will actually use my other T-shirt transformation book after I have to take this book back to the library.

4 comments:

Kasey Johnson said...

Really cute!!

Anja said...

very cute!!! :)

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! It's just my style.

Unknown said...

this is adorable and it looks fabulous on you! it also reaffirms my suspicion that I really to learn how to sew :D