Friday, May 25, 2012

Pets' Pastimes & Birdwatching

Ever have one of those weeks where you know you've been busy, but feel like you have next-to-nothing to show for it?...and can't even really remember what you did this week?  I feel like I'm having one of those weeks.  Just trying to keep up with everyday life.  But let us pause and contemplate the simple life of pets...

 Luna has been enjoying walks in the backyard...and wandering over to the neighboring abandoned house's overgrown backyard...annoying to live next to, but good for taking pictures of a little dog bounding through the high grass and dandelion puffs.)

Terra has been enjoying looking out the window at the birds on the birdfeeders.  It's been almost as much fun watching her watch the birds (doing her little "chatter" at them) as it's been watching the birds themselves.

I've been getting lots of goldfinches...just like last year.  I've started trying to keep the camera on the table so I can get pictures of "new" birds.  I've been getting a lot of goldfinches, house finches/purple finches, and sparrows.  


I got a rose-breasted grosbeak one day, which was trying to get to my "squirrel-proof" bird feeder (above). (the "squirrel proof" feeders have a cage around the tube feeder that keeps squirrels and large birds out, but lets small birds in).  I didn't know what kind of bird it was when I saw it, and had to ask my bird-expert Grandma what it was when she happened to visit a few days later.  I'm pretty sure I saw a female oriole one day (but my camera was in the other room...by the time I went to get it, she was gone).  A woodpecker with a little red cap was out there a few days ago, but he was too fast.  By the time I clicked the shutter, all I got was a shot of the feeder and a blur of a wing in the corner of the frame.  I've having fun seeing all the "new" species that have found my feeders this year!

Still no blue/indigo bunting.  Although I swear I saw one a few weeks ago in my friend's driveway before it fluttered away! 

1 comment:

Sheri Fresonke Harper said...

I would love to see a rose breasted grosbeak, it's on my list of must sees.