Friday, January 21, 2011

Commissioned Piece: White Cat

This week, my husband requested that I make a white cat for his boss & his boss's wife. I guess they are mourning the recent loss of their cat, so CJ thought a plush version would help cheer them up a little, and would serve as a memorial for their beloved pet as well.

The interesting thing is that he happened to ask me to make this after I watched "The Secret of Kells" on Netflix instant view this week. It's an absolutely gorgeous animated movie, with an abundance of stunning Celtic art and music. I think it's become one of my new favorite movies. I'd never even heard of it before Netflix had it in its suggestions for me, but apparently it was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in 2010 (it got beat out by "Up").

Anyway, my point is, there is a white cat named Pangur Bán in the movie. And at one point in the movie, another character, a faerie girl named Aisling, sings a song to/about Pangur Bán. It's an absolutely beautiful song, and I had it stuck in my head the entire time I was sewing this white cat.
"You must go where I cannot...Pangur Bán...Pangur Bán..."
That's the only line I know... because it's the only line in English. The rest of the song is sung in Irish Gaelic. It's so beautiful though, as is the rest of the music. I want to buy the soundtrack.

I actually want to make another version of the white cat and design the head more like Pangur Bán in the film...shaped more like a half circle... and with two different colored eyes of course!



If you're wondering where I took the pictures, I photographed the cat on my parent's living room window sill. I was visiting them today, and wanted to be able to photograph it before I gave the cat to my husband to give to his boss today.