Thursday, January 20, 2011

Woodland Creatures Series: Brock the Badger

Here is the 3rd animal in the Woodland Creature series...Brock the Badger.

The name Brock is derived from a surname based on the Old English word for badger. There is a Scottish variation, "Broc", but I like how the name looks with the "k"...is that silly? I'm sure the Scottish spelling is based on the same Old English word.




Making these woodland creatures (the badger in particular) is giving me the urge to either re-read some of my books in Brian Jacques' "Redwall" series, or read some of the newer ones in the series that I haven't read yet. I used this book cover, as well as some pictures I found on Google image search, for a design reference.
Salamandastron was the first Redwall book I ever read. I found it at the library when I was in either middle school or high school. I picked it up because I was intrigued by the cover. In the Redwall series, badgers are wise and a warrior class of creature. Maybe I should have made Brock some armor? I am reminded that there is actually a character (and book) in the series who is named Lord Brocktree. (I have not read that book, but Lord Brocktree is mentioned in some of the books I have read).
I know...I read books about anthropomorphic, talking warrior animals. I'm a geek. As if you didn't already know that. ;)

And here's all 3 of the critters in the Woodland Creatures series so far! What creature should I do next? I've had lots of great suggestions from people both IRL (in real life) and on the Facebook page.

I do have parts of a grey mouse cut out right now. And I'd like to do a hedgehog. I've also gotten suggestions for a squirrel, a deer, and a groundhog.

Of course, my stash of brown sweaters is quite limited at the moment though. I have one light brown/tan sweater, but no dark brown. I may do a hedgehog and use the light brown sweater for the main body and use dark brown felt for the "spikes". But this upcoming Monday is half price day at my local thrift store, so maybe I can find a nice, woolly brown sweater there. I'm finding myself becoming quite partial to using wool sweaters (or at least sweaters that are a large percentage of wool). I just like the texture (especially if it's felted!) And I think it gives my creatures a bit more of an old, vintage kind of charm...like something your grandma would have made for you.

No comments: