Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rice-Filled Sock Birdy

My friend Stephanie is hosting a few 4H meetings soon and is figuring out some crafts for the kids to make. Some of the themes for the meetings are "staying warm" and "birds". So Stephanie came up with this craft - a sock filled with rice and tied off, with felt pieces sewn on to make it look like a bird. When you put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or so, you have a cute little kid-friendly heat-pack!

She was initially inspired to make this rice-filled heat pack by some Nubbin hand-warmers she bought from me last winter at Presence on the Patio. She says her kids love them and they were particularly helpful when one of her kids had an earache and laid his ear on one to soothe the pain.

Since I am the token "crafty friend" in my circle of friends, Stephanie brought over this prototype yesterday to show me and get my opinion. And I think it is absolutely adorable! So adorable, in fact, that I had to take some pictures to share here on the blog!


2 comments:

Tree Huggin Momma said...

Love this and would love to do this with my girls..... I would probably use buttons for eyes (just so I don't have to cut them out) ;P

Kira said...

The only reason we didn't decide to use buttons is because this will be going in the microwave and we didn't think using plastic would be a good idea. Plus I think these have the potential to be thrown around a lot!