Monday, June 2, 2008

Perspective and prayers

Jacob Fahmer
January 14th, 2008-May 31st, 2008


There's nothing that puts things in life into more perspective than the passing of a child. Yesterday at church I found out that my friend Nancy's nephew, Jacob Fahmer, passed away on Saturday. We have had him and his family in our prayers for a long time. He was 138 days old. Jacob had a "genetic disorder known as Trisomy 18. This disorder is found in about 1 in 3000 live births and is the second most common genetic disease behind Down's Syndrome...50% of all babies born with Trisomy 18 die within the first week. Another 25% die with in the first month and almost 95% die within the first year."
I did not ever meet Jacob, nor had I ever met his mother, father, or siblings...but I cried when I heard the news. I'm misting up even now as I write this. It was one of those things that you knew was supposed to happen inevitably, but is a shock when it actually does. I love that his parents decided to spend their precious moments with him at home instead of keeping him in the hospital.


My words seem inadequate. If you want to read some wonderful, encouraging words, go read the awesome blog his parents kept that chronicled every day in Jacob's precious little life:


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
- Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

Melissa said...

small world. I found Jacob through another blog and I've been following his life for a long time, and keeping him in my prayers as well.