Thursday, December 25, 2008

"Wreck This Journal" Chronicles: Chapter 1

This is so much fun! I had a ball doing a lot of "wrecking" tonight at my parents' house.

"INSTRUCTIONS...
1. Carry this with you EVERYWHERE you go!
2. Follow the instructions on every page.
3. Order is not important.
4. Instructions are open to interpretation.
5. Experiment! (Work against your better judgement!)

WARNING: During the process of this book you will get dirty.
You may find yourself covered in paint,or any other number of foreign substances.
You will get wet.
You may be asked to do things you question.
You may grieve for the perfect state that you found your book in.
You may begin to see creative destruction everywhere.
You may begin to live more recklessly!"

My favorite part is doodling. I'm quite the doodler...

I got a lot more stains to go, but here's the first. It's the stain I make most often...usually on my hubby's cheek. And there's the lipstick color I use in case anyone was dying to know (it has to be 952A...the A is very important...952 is a completely different shade).

We tested all the pens in the "pen mug" at my parents' house and threw out the ones the didn't work anymore (there were less than I expected). Mom and Adam helped. I still have a lot of space left to fill though.





More coming soon!
Until then...go on YouTube and do a search for "Wreck This Journal" and see the crazy & funny ways other people have wrecked their journals. WARNING: You may need to weed through some of the videos, because some of them are kind of offensive because they're done by teenage girls who like to drop the F-bomb and/or show way too much cleavage (yeah...skip the one that's titled "Wreck This Journal. DOOO IT").

There is one that's kind of funny with this girl and her boyfriend (or brother...I can't tell) doing the page where you're supposed to throw something (pencil, markers, a ball/rock dipped in paint) at a target (they keep missing the book and hitting the person holding the book). There is also one pretty geeky guy that does the "burn this page" page with a LASER! It's kind of long and you gotta fast forward through a lot of boring geek speak about his laser (that includes big science-guy words like "nanometers"), but it's pretty cool that he did it with a LASER! I may use CJ's woodburning tool to do my burning page.

I may do a video to document the more active aspects of wrecking the journal (then I'll have to figure out how to post video to my blog). I wish I'd recorded poking the holes in the page with a pencil...I was giggling the whole time. My family thought I was nuts. Dad didn't get the point of the journal. I had to explain that it's to break the perfectionism so many people get when it comes to journals (myself included). And to enjoy the experience rather than having a perfect end product.

No comments: